Is it just me or do we spend a lot of time on the internet, browsing through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, news sites, and really, just every social media App/site one can think of? I find myself easily distracted by the sheer amount of information around me at any given time.
Nonetheless there are those articles, photos and videos, that stand out, bring a smile to my face or start me thinking. Since I usually bookmark those anyway I thought it might be a nice idea to start sharing them with you.
Maybe they will brighten your day a little or start a conversation in the comments.
Maybe you have some awesome links to share, too?
Since I finally got around to creating a blog schedule, I hope that a fixed weekly section will help me strengthen it further and keep me blogging regularly. Even though the Friday Favorite will usually have a connection to Japan, I don’t want to limit me to certain topics. After all, the main purpose is to entertain. Just a fair warning: I sometimes tend to “discover” things that are known for ages and am then proceeding to show all my friends the “new thing” I found … I hope you will forgive me if that happens here.
And now, I present this weeks Friday Favorites:
- Love capybara? Now you can take a hot bath while watching them bathe! – Aren’t capybara absolutely adorable? They always look so relaxed and overall just like a big guinea pig to cuddle with. In Tochigi an Onsen will be opened this month, where you can take a bath inside, will watching capybara doing the same on the other side of the window.
- Welcome to Japan — Where homes are thrown away after one generation – An interesting article about houses in Japan, that might explain why so many buildings look somewhat run-down, especially on the outside. Maybe it’s even an explanation for the missing insulation in Japanese homes? Since living here I really have come to appreciate the central heating we had in Germany.
- Death by overwork on rise among Japan’s vulnerable workers – It is sad, that this topic is still does not get all the attention it needs from the Japanese government. Each year people die due to unbelievable amounts of overtime and stress at the workplace. It’s actually not that uncommon, that companies expect you to do unpaid overtime, up to 80 hours per month!
- New cafe in Japan serves up salads in the form of gorgeous colourful cakes – I love cake and should be eating salads, so this restaurants seems to be the perfect spot for me. Hopefully the restaurant, which opened this week in Nagoya, will be so popular, that they branch out to Tokyo as well.
Liam Wong – If you follow just one new Instagram or Tumblr account this week, make it this one! His pictures were recently featured on several websites and you will immediately understand why. The dark neon world he shows is absolutely fascinating.
- my_tiny_ – Another Instagram account I just started following and her pictures are really adorable. Miniature food is pretty popular here and there are many accounts dedicated to it, so you will probably find several others. But her cheerful and positive attitude and thoughtful comments to others stood out for me.
- Things bilingual people do – Not a new video, but new to me (you see what I meant before, right…?) and especially the last point – Speaking an expressive language – is so true. In the beginning of our relationship I was always tense and anxious when my husband talked with his parents, because I always thought they were arguing.
- 阿福Thomas – Is a point in case and the last weeks his videos have become hugely popular in China. Thomas is originally from Germany (actually not far from my hometown) and lives now with his Chinese wife in Shanghai. He recently started his own video channel (on Weibo I think, not YouTube) and in his videos he speaks Chinese and Shanghainese. My husband and my parents in law think they are very funny and were absolutely impressed with his language skills. I’m impressed, too, but even more jealous, since my Chinese skills are still … well … non-existent is probably the fitting word. Here the link to his video “So you want to marry a Chinese woman?“
What was your favorite story/photo/video this week?